Friday 30 March 2012

Transcription update - Visual style tests

For the last week or so I have been working away trying to figure out the visual style of my piece. After my research I've decided the overall style I want to achieve is a hybrid of Raymond Briggs mixed with a comic book. Here is a run down of my progress so far.

 I completed modelling my character and UV mapped him...



Inspired by the graphic novel "Ascent"  and the comic book series "Victor" I discovered in my research, I made some cell shaders to try and recreate the comic book feel. I could then render out a separate pass with cross hatch textures in the vein of Raymond Briggs. 


Once UV mapped, I moved on to rigging. As this character isn't walking and is mostly flying, the legs are rigged with forward kinematics. Here is a quick rig test animation...

From here I moved on to modelling the environment for the first act, the bedroom my character falls asleep in and dreams he flies out of the window. Here is a test render with some basic textures mapped.


At this point I discovered the toon shader settings. I liked the cell shaders but I couldn't make the black outlines consistent. The toon shader sorted this and I did a test render compositing simple colours with a grayscale lambert with lights to retain the shadows. Here is the composition....


I liked the results so I returned to my character and created a basic animation and composited together "TOON" and "CROSSHATCHING" passes. Here are the results....


Currently I am setting up the first scene with all of the passes, getting it ready to animate. Here is a composited image of it so far.... (the window will eventually have a matte painting of the street to add depth)


No comments:

Post a Comment