Friday, 25 April 2014
Side View Progress
I've been having problems tracking the video footage with Matchmover and with time pressing on I have decided to work from some still photographs. I haven't given up completely on the video footage and will endeavor to track at least one shot for the final piece. In the mean time I have three photo's similar to my concept work and I have begun to import some of my uncanny objects. I was getting some strange results from the HDR based image lighting so I am recreating the lighting setup manually.
With HDR lighting
Front View Progress
Monday, 14 April 2014
I've been working on my uncanny objects with varied results. I've been having problems adding hair to the male mass uncanny object, so in the mean time I have playing around with maya's fast skin shader and animating the breathing effect as below. I've also been working on modelling some of the offspring using a mixture of maya and mudbox and will texture them once I am more familiar with the fast skin shader.
This weekend I also went home to shoot the live footage and capture images for the HDR image based lighting. Below are three examples of the photographs of the globe at different exposures which will be unwrapped in the next few days. The second part of the shoot involved placing markers throughout the hall so that I can motion track the footage. I also used state of the art equipment, thin bamboo sticks standing in J2O bottles, to give me markers in the Y axis. It also helped to give me an idea of the height of the parent objects when it came to filming. I've posted an example of the footage taken below which I hope is good enough to track. The only thing that worries me at the moment is I think the footage has been captured at 20fps, even though the settings were set at PAL. Other than that the shoot went quite well and it was quite fun pretending to be Spielberg for the day.
Tuesday, 1 April 2014
Here are my final concept pieces detailing the positions of my uncanny objects. I think the "female mass" could either be on its side or back so I have shown it in different positions. I have also begun to model the objects in 3D.
Thursday, 27 March 2014
Some more concepts developing the parent's and offspring idea for my uncanny gallery. With regards to the parents I have experimented by adding more bodily features and trying out different positions for the female representation. For me this echoes Marc Quinn's statue Alison Lapper Pregnant. It would be interesting to see if the slightest movements (such as breathing) would make them even more uncanny. I've also done some more offspring concepts below.
Monday, 24 March 2014
I've been working on some digital paintings of my uncanny gallery. The first concept is based on my initial idea to exhibit three separate uncanny objects. My tutor pointed out that two of the three could come across as interesting science exhibits apposed to unsettling uncanny art installations. I've made the skin with extending hairs less of a cross section and lost the petri dish containing the super sized cell and to try and rectify this.
For this concept I have dropped two of the exhibits in favour of the disembodied belly idea. I replaced the male hairy belly with a representation of a female stomach that could be pregnant. This is then surrounded with by other smaller "masses" that could be interpreted as offspring. Alternatively I could have two central parent masses surrounded by their offspring with various different traits, i.e. skin folds and wrinkles, blemishes, veins, hair etc.
Friday, 7 March 2014
I've completed an animatic to help establish what kind of shots I will need when it comes to filming. The establishing shots and pans of the room make use of dolly equipment. This will be mixed with some hand held footage to emphasize the realism and hopefully make it that bit more uncanny. With this in mind I've thought about whether the piece should have some music or not. I think it will depend on the type of music, but then I also think the ambient noise captured on the day will also do the trick.
Animatic with music
Animatic with ambient noise
I've talked with my tutor Phil about the uncanny objects that will inhabit my gallery. Of the three we agreed the breathing belly is the more successful. The skin cross section with extending hairs and the super sized cell are at risk of coming across as a science or museum exhibit that could detract from their uncanny nature. We discussed the possibility of dropping these two, in favour of creating multiple versions of the breathing belly. This would mean creating different variations in size, textures, sensitivity, hair or fur coverage that would make the hall feel like it has been infested. I've looked for some examples with similar themes to demonstrate what I mean.